Chongqing is not the usual metropolis, as it is criss-crossed by numerous hills, mountains and rivers:
building a rail way system in this city is not an easy feat.
As of today, the Chongqing Metro holds various records, among them:
- Busiest Monorail Line: Line 3 (over 600’000 passengers/day);
- Largest Monorail System: Line 2 and Line 3;
- Longest straddle-beam Monorail Line: Line 3;
With a new airport branch planned to be added to Line 3 this December, the Chongqing Rail System will extend and open several new lines in less than two years:
- Line 4, 9 stations, will make the eastern side of Chongqing more accessible;
- The Circle Line will open its first arc (phase I);
- Line 5, 25 stations, will travel from the The Expo Garden (Line 3) all the way to the city south-eastern side;
- Line 10, 19 stations, will connect Line 6 and Line 3 on the Northern side of Chongqing before crossing the city center;
Download Chongqing Metro on the App Store, free.